God is still speaking...
1825: A group of people from Lutheran and Reformed backrounds met in a schoolhouse near the present site of Salem Church
1831: A frame church was built on this site and was called Zion Church.
1843: Reformed Congregation was formally organized.
1860: A new church was built of brick on the same site after the original building was destroyed in a fire. This new church was called Salem which in Hebrew means “Peace.”
1908: Construction of the present building was completed.
1934: Salem’s official name became Salem Evangelical and Reformed Church of Rohrerstown.
1957: Salem’s official name became Salem United Church of Christ when four faith traditions, The Reformed Church, The Evangelical Church, The Congregation Church and The Christian Church, united under the biblical idea “That all may be one.”
1960: The Christian Education wing was added.
1973: The new parsonage was built to replace the previous parsonage which had been used since 1935.
1991: The sanctuary was upgraded and the new fellowship hall was added.
In the ensuing years, the congregation of Salem UCC has accepted the challenge of being good stewards of the property. They have taken on and (nearly) retired the debt for major maintenance and renovations including but not limited to the following projects.
Click on the link at the top of the page to view our Leaders and Staff.